Because life’s celebrations shouldn’t cost the Earth

Saturday, 6 April 2013

A Quilted Cover for My Shopping Trolley!

Wheeled Shopping Trolley Tutorial

My much loved shopping trolley finally gave up its last hold on life this week.  I have sewn up the seams so many times and now even I had to admit defeat and consign it to the bin.  However, I could not bring myself to spend money on a new one when the frame was basically sound, so there was a last minute reprieve when I decided to make my own replacement cover.  

Here it is before the makeover

Not a pretty sight!

Look at it now!

Much better!

Here's how I did it...

Shopping Cart Tutorial


I recycled as much as I could from the old trolley, salvaging the velcro and top drawstring.  The additional items I used were spray glue, waterproof lining, bias-binding, main fabric and lining fabric.

The industrial waterproof layer was actually given to me on a roll from my mother, who in turn got it from her uncle, an undertaker.  He was a true gentleman of the old school and was born in 1916, a generation who did not approve of waste.  I think he would be delighted to know we are still finding uses for his gifts! 

I then pulled the old cover apart

In theory I should have unpicked the seams carefully as I needed the pieces as a pattern for the new cover.  In reality I just cut it open - The old cover had been mended and machine darned so many times this was the only way!

Next I cut and made my new pieces

In the photo above I have already made a 'quilt sandwich' with the main fabric, waterproof liner and lining fabric.

The lining fabric was an old patchwork quilt so had wadding (batting) ready attached.  This should mean it keeps my frozen shopping cold.  You can also see from the photo that I bound the raw edge of the top flap with a jaunty yellow bias binding.

I didn't bother with a pocket in the back, as I can just chuck everything into the trolley itself.  The original pocket was on the flap which held the cover to the frame itself.  Here is the new piece sewn onto the back, I slipped it on to check the fit before sewing the whole thing together.

It fitted!  So I zoomed up and down the seams on my machine a couple of times. It was an easy project as there was very little shaping needed.  The top closure is just a drawstring which I took from the old cover.  There is also a little strap on the back, this fits over the bar on the handle and is then held to the rear panel with velcro. It prevents the whole thing from slipping down the frame. 

Check out the Granny-chic patchwork lining!


  1. Lovely blog! I read about it in Style at Home and look forward to reading more. Catherine x

  2. Hi Catherine, what a lovely message and thanks for dropping by!

  3. This was Fantastic... Thanks for Sharing.

  4. I love it! And yes, it's manly 😘