Because life’s celebrations shouldn’t cost the Earth

Tuesday 24 March 2015

Spring Egg Shell Floral Arrangements

'Easter Flowers' Tutorial




Spring has finally arrived and with Easter just around the corner, I decided to create some adorable floral decorations.  I simply painted empty egg shells in a variety of soft pastel shades before planting them with little viola bedding plants and then displaying them in a variety of egg cups and containers.




These ones are housed in an antique egg cruet set which I picked up at a car boot sale last summer.  It cost the princely sum of £1.50 and is late Victorian / early Edwardian. Some of the original plate has worn off but this gives it a wonderful shabby chic feel!  



Tutorial



The plants need quite a large hole in the top of the egg so don't 'blow' your eggs.  Instead gently tap a raw egg on top to crack it and then peel off the desired amount of shell.  Place a bowl beneath the egg and shake to release the white and yolk. Wash the shells out thoroughly and place in a warm place to dry.




Once the shells are dry, paint in a variety of soft spring colours.  I used tester pots of emulsion (vinyl) paint but acrylic craft paint would work equally well. If your eggs are quite dark, you will need to give them at least two coats of the light coloured paints.




Once the painted shells have dried plant them with your choice of spring flowers or use them as 'vases' to display delicate bunches of cut blooms such as mini narcissus, crocuses or irises . How fabulous would they also look at a country wedding or summer baby shower!



Aren't they gorgeous?


Happy Spring!







26 comments:

  1. Josie, these are lovely. The colours are so fresh and the pansies are gorgeous. I always love their little faces. They brighten up the garden when nothing much else does. That cruet set is a real find. So pretty. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and a great idea xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is gorgeous, wow!

    I am putting together a sort of Easter crafts compilation blog post, with pictures of creative projects for spring. Would you mind if I shared one of your pictures? I will of course credit it to this post. I did the same thing last year if you would like a reference on how it might look: http://aliciasivert.blogspot.se/2014/04/paskpeppen-2014.html

    Thank you for the inspiration!
    Sincerely,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I'm spamming you! Just realized I've asked the exact same question about the vintage fabric bunting. Sorry about not recognizing where I was! Anyway, obviously I really love your work AND I would like to add this craft as well to my post if you don't mind - but I should have rephrased the question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alicia, it's certainly easy to forget where you are on the internet! Yes, add the egg shells and Happy Easter to you! xx

      Delete
  5. Original and cute! They will look beautiful on the table with Easter goodies. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Might try this myself as I have a cake to make today!! They are beautiful and the idea is wonderful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very precious! Of course the green one is my fav! What a fun and easy project.

    A very happy Resurrection Day celebration to you, Josie.

    Hugs,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful Josie, I especially like the blue one with the gorgeous blue violas. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Josie those little eggs with viola's are beautiful, such a good idea and I might have to make some of those for Easter Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a super idea, and your cruet set is delightful

    http://frayedattheedge.typepad.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are adorable Josie, I love how you have displayed them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness what a great idea! They really are adorable, the perfect cheery Easter decoration :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are gorgeous, particularly like them displayed in the wooden egg cups:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What truly pretty decorations you have created and how beautifully you have photographed them :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are very pretty shades - I think I would have difficulty not breaking them though! they do look lovely in the antique egg set - what a find!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just gorgeous! And such an easy activity to get the kids involved in too. I love your egg holders, both the vintage silver and the cane chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The are so pretty, always think pansies and violas look like happy smiling faces

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a very cute seasonal way to display flowers

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such wonderful creations and a super idea! I love the cruet, beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are really pretty, you are so creative to even think about them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely way of planting flowers. They are so pretty xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a cute idea for spring. Wow, I love the pastel colors you used. Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Easter to you.Such a lovely project.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a great idea with lovely colours

    Noddfacrafts
    noddfacrafts.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I do love pansies/violas they are so dainty and gorgeous colours. Your egg cup sets are lovely, £1.50 that's a bargain!

    ReplyDelete