Because life’s celebrations shouldn’t cost the Earth

Sunday 16 March 2014

Fabric Journal Cover Tutorial

 




This tutorial is for a cute little fabric notebook cover.  I used an A7 jotter which is the perfect size to slip into a pocket or handbag.  I had picked some up in the sale at our local supermarket and they look really lovely with a little hand stitched jacket! This one is a thank you for a teacher at the local senior school who has been coming into the junior school, after a full day's teaching, to offer enrichment lessons to some of the more able students, including Alice.

Materials



The project only requires small amounts of fabric, so is perfect for using all of those scraps from your stash. The only other element I used was a length of red elastic which came from a box of Christmas chocolates!

Method

First measure your notepad including the front and back cover and spine, then add 2cms to the measurements as your seam allowances.  My pad was 24 x 7.5cms so I cut my two main strips to measure 26 x 9.5cms.  You will also need to cut out at least two pieces of fabric for your pockets.  I actually cut three as I wanted an extra pocket to tuck a tiny thank you card in.  The two main pockets serve to hold your cover in place on your notebook and they need to measure 9.5 x 6 cms.  They require a tiny hem so simply turn the fabric over and stitch so that they look like the picture below;


You now need to make a 'sandwich' with all the fabric pieces.  First lay the outer cover down, right side up, then place the two pockets on top, right sides down, and then pop the lining piece on top.  This sounds a little complicated but if you look at the photo you'll see it's actually really easy!  If you're using an elastic closure lay it between the back cover and pocket about 2cms up from the bottom edge.


Machine stitch the whole way around your fabric sandwich, remembering to leave a gap for turning.  Now simply turn the cover through the gap, push the corners out using a knitting needle or chopstick and press firmly.  The final step is to hand sew the little gap closed and that's it.  A cute little fabric covered notebook in less than an hour!

I chose to applique the outside of my cover but it would look equally lovely stitched in a piece of your favourite 'statement' fabric, with a contrasting lining and pockets.  If you are making one as a teacher appreciation gift please feel free to use mine as inspiration;






18 comments:

  1. Super cute applique! Your blog is adorable! I keep meaning to make more time for my sewing machine, I like to make skirts for my daughter and I have seen some gorgeous applique designs. I must put in more of an effort with it! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Just been taking a look at your stuff, sew good! I like the appliqué work (I find I'm a bit too impatient most of the time to sit and do it properly!) You got a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab tutorial, and super smart notebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cover for a notebook. I like that style of applique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really sweet - a lovely present! I really must try machine applique/embroidery......one more thing to add to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fabulous pad and tutorial too - I've bookmarked it so I can have a go when I get the time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love doing appliqué, your little heart in the apple is lovely.
    I always have to double check the sandwiching of the fabric, I keep a little sketch to hand as a reminder :)

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your appliqué is perfect!! I love the images you use. Your egg copies are as cute as your notebooks! You must have a large family or a lot of friends to have 30 place settings for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely little gift. I bet the teacher appreciated it. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bea-u-ti-ful and you make it sound easy! On to my long list of "one day" projects it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea and thanks for the tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like your apple design. Simple, but very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hiya, just started to follow your great blog, you have some great tutorials, thank you! From a fellow north easterner:))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Josie, really beautiful little cover and great pictures. Bet the teacher will treasure it! A lovely thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful idea thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this journal cover. So effective x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just LOVE this blog!

    Happy highways,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete