These adorable felt key rings are sew easy to stitch up! They require only the tiniest amount of materials and make equally perfect bag charms or luggage tags.
Even better, they stitch up in less than an hour and are great gift ideas for your 'difficult to buy for' relatives!
I infused the backing felt on this little car appliqué with essential oils and it now hangs in hubby's car as a cute air freshener!
Scrap of denim
'Bondaweb' (fusible web)
1. Begin by drawing a template, simple shapes are best and suitable motifs include owls, flowers and hearts. If you doubt your drawing skills you can even download digi-stamps as templates. I stitched up the car and cupcake using stamps by the very talented Wendy Massey over at Handmade Harbour.
2. Trace your design onto 'Bondaweb' or other fusible web, iron onto the reverse side of your fabric scraps and then cut out neatly.
3. Lightly mark the windscreen wipers and 'VW' logo with a pencil. Now arrange the pieces into position on your backing felt and then carefully fix into place with your iron.
3. Trim the felt at the top of your design and then lay onto a scrap of denim or other hardwearing fabric. Fold a short length of ribbon in half and tuck between the two layers. Now comes the fun part! Machine around the appliqué pieces at least twice using black thread and aiming for a 'sketch-like' feel. It doesn't even matter if your stitching is a bit wobbly as this all adds to the appeal of raw edge appliqué and free-motion embroidery!
4. Now closely trim around your design using a small pair of embroidery scissors. Finally thread onto a metal split-ring and that's it......See I told you it was easy!
Have fun making your own for Father's Day, Christmas stocking fillers, fund raising, etc. etc....