Because life’s celebrations shouldn’t cost the Earth

Monday 9 September 2013

More Tea M'Lords?

Personalised Linen Tea Cosy


Today saw the start of the children's first full week back at school after our six week break.  We've had such a wonderful summer, although it already seems like just a distant memory!  I didn't get much sewing done whilst the children were at home, hence the lack of blogging.  However, I did stitch a personalised linen tea cosy which my brother had requested as a wedding present for a couple who were getting married over the summer.  Their surname is 'Lord' which hopefully explains the theme!



My brother had found this picture of a vintage linen tea-towel, featuring an appliqued butler, which he wanted me to use it as a basis for my design.  


Whilst it was great to have a starting point for the tea cosy, I actually felt under a little bit of pressure as I was worried that it might not live up to the original and that he would then be disappointed.

Anyway, I concentrated on the butler and after a couple of attempts this is what I came up with;


A very snooty English butler!

The tea cosy itself was made using the same pair of upcycled linen curtains as the previous couple of posts.  There's still metres of the fabric left, so they weren't bad value considering they only cost £1.50 from the local car boot sale! I free-motion quilted the linen, adding a layer of wadding (batting) for warmth.  As it was for a wedding gift, I also embroidered a little label on the back showing the happy couple's names and the date of their nuptials.


At least this couple might now remember their anniversary each year, unlike Mr Larkin and myself as we have both been guilty of forgetting ours!


My brother sent me some photos from the day and it all looked beautiful


The wedding car showed the cosy off to its best advantage


Congratulations Mr and Mrs Lord!


3 comments:

  1. Wauw, amazing!!! Love your design and that you are upcycling too!
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words Charlotte and let's all save the world with lots of lovely recycling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, you're so lovely to write to me in the beautiful work you did. I come from Argentina, i don't speak English. A big hug, Vero.

    ReplyDelete